CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 11, 2009

For those Interested in Natural Childbirth or the Use of a Doula

When I was pregnant and people asked about or made insinuations about D day, many would look at me like I was crazy when I told them I was wanting an intervention free delivery, with no epidural or pain medication. I clearly remember telling one person in particular and they laughed at the thought and pretty much pleaded that I get one mainly because "it's your first and you don't know what to expect." So many people were doubtful, negative, or even flat out rude about the notion of going about something so natural.... naturally. I wasn't going as far as doing a home birth (although the privacy and peace of it would be nice), I just wanted to at least TRY to deal with the pain in my own way. Fortunately, we were soon approached by a member of our church who was a childbirth educator and wanted to met with us a few times. The intent was to basically cover what's covered in childbirth classes, but in our home. I told her of my "birth plan" while being ready for her to either try to talk me out of it or subtly mock the idea. It was then, through small talk, that I realized that I wasn't quite so alone in what I wanted. She told me that many of the women at our church had natural births and a couple even had home births and that I should talk to them as well. Aside from close family members, it was sooo nice to know that I had more support in my decision.



Being set on the idea of having that childbirth experience, I began doing A LOT of research on natural ways to deal with pain. I looked into hypnobirthing, position management, pressure point work, etc. and in the end I decided that the best bet was to find and work with a doula. Todd was a little skeptical about hiring her at first, but mainly because he 1) was concerned I wouldn't have all the care I needed and 2) although he never said it, I feel that he felt his position as a supporter would be taken away (I have to add that in hindsight, a doula actually allowed him to relax more and focus on helping me). We had several talks about it and he eventually decided that since I was set on having a natural birth, a doula would be best for us. It is a decision that I never regret. Although my birth wasn't completely intervention free, I am SO happy with how it came about.

Our doula recently sent this clip to me from a friend of her's for a film contest. If anyone is interested in possibly using one or just out of curiosity, please take a look at this. Also, if you are pregnant or planning to be and would like to have a doula throughtout your pregnancy, let me know and I can get you the contact info of ours. She did a great job and I HIGHLY recommend her. I'm already looking forward to having her assist with our next!



0 comments: