CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Childbirth Class #3: Hospital Tour

You'd think that after I ended up having to stay, a tour of the hospital would be the last thing I'd want, but I was actually looking forward to it and really enjoyed it. We got to see all the different types of rooms, learn about security measures in place, reoutine procedures, and a special visit to see all the cute little babies in the nursery and the NICU. Both were very subtly decorated, but the overall atmoshere was very soothing and relaxing. I was amazed at how quiet they were, esp. the NICU. I was expecting a lot of hustle and bustle, crying, and beeping machines, and heard very little of any of that. The tour would've been a lot more enjoyable if I couldn't have walked around with everyone instead of being in a wheelchair (but I'm very thankful that I was even able to do that.)


As for the rest of class..... how can I explain it??????? Um....... eye opening!!! We mainly talked about all the different types of interventions. A lot of my thoughts on medication were said to be true (which is why I'm going to TRY to go without any including an epidural), but what really got me was the discussion about inductions! Coming from a RN's (the instructor), I couldn't believe some of the selfish reasons Dr's (and some patients) use to validate getting one! Vacations, being on call that day and not wanting to just sit around, just being tired of being pregnant, out of town guests, golf trips, etc!!! Is that really more important that the health of a child???? I'd like to say that it horible for the Dr to do this, but to be honest, I want to say it's more on the women for going along with it and agreeing. Just my opinion though :)



Anyways, my next project is to finish researching relaxation techniques for labor. I have a running list with about 10 ideas on it so far so that still needs adding to (if you know of any, please let me know so I can add them). Like I said, my goal is to go med-free, BUT I'm still trying to prepare myself to not be disappointed if it doesn't come about that way. (After all, the instructor described the hospital as "epidural country" with 95- 99% of women opting to use it. )



If you have any advice (other than "Get ALL the meds you can" or "You better get that epidural!"), resources/ website, please send it my way. Both Todd and I will definitely appreciate it. You may have the one thing that will save Todd from having his head ripped off during the whole process!!!

0 comments: